Growing up, visits to the library were my favorite! (Thank you, Aunt Debbie) This summer Caden is the PERFECT age to start attending some of the different activities they have to offer. I wasn’t sure which library to check out since we have so many amazing ones near us. We have Carbondale, Dalton, Abington Community, and the Nancy Kay Holmes library all within a half hour drive. There are even more that I just haven’t visited yet. Best of all – their activities are FREE!!!!!
We have attended BabyGarten at Nancy Kay Holmes and Baby Storytime at the Abington Community Library. Both activities involved play, songs, listening to a story, and a craft. Next week, we plan to dive in with some more activities, such as other “age level” story times since Caden is in between the baby and the pre-school age crews, block parties (building with Legos), and music time. All of the Lackawanna County Libraries have rotating times for magic shows, jugglers, art exhibits, zoo mobiles, and other animal exhibits. Children 4 to 13 can even earn a free ticket to attend a RailRiders game!
Abington Community Library Schedule
Special Event Schedule
Nancy Kay Holmes Library Schedule
Ages 0 to 5 Summer Quest Recording Sheet
Children earn “points” for reading for 15 minutes or completing an activity. Some of the activities that I think are really cool are –
- Visit a Farmer’s Market – Shopping local is SO important! I desperately want to instill this in Caden from a young age.
- Eat a “tech-free” meal with your family – I am hoping that we can always keep our meals “tech-free,” but I know that this is a struggle for many families.
- Write your name in the mud or sand – This is great for sensory exploration and practicing letters!
- Find shapes in the grocery store – This is something simple that I can start incorporating in our weekly visits to the grocery store. We can also point out the different colors or food groups, too!
Adult Summer Quest Recording Sheet
Adults also get points for reading for 30 minutes or selecting an activity to complete. Some of the adult activities that I think are really cool are –
- Visit a local business that is new to you – Clarks Summit has so many amazing small businesses that I would like to explore. This will be the push that I need.
- Visit a farmer’s market – same reason as above 🙂
- Write someone a thank you card
- Complete a DIY or home improvement project – Another activity that I need an extra push on!
- Visit a new city – This is ALWAYS on my summer to-do list!
Happy Reading! ❤️