Alright…. I will admit I was terrible at storing breastmilk with my first. I had it haphazardly in our freezer in boxes or piles. I didn’t want to use ziploc bags because it seemed wasteful. I’m over it. Just looking in my organized freezer is worth the waste. I will re-use the ziploc freezer bags after all of this is over!
1) Every day or every other day depending on how much extra milk you have, bag up milk to be frozen. I tend to stick with 5 ounces, even though the bags can hold 6.
2) Use Lansinoh Bags because they lay the flattest! Be sure to get the extra air out.
3) I use an old pizza tray that we no longer use, but an old cookie sheet is even better! It helps the bags freeze as flat as possible! Some people even have a second pan to put on top.
4) Once the bags are frozen, you can start putting them in gallon size Ziploc bags. I usually fit about 8-10 5 ounce bags in each Ziploc.
5) Don’t forget to label the outside of the Ziploc bag with the month and year! Then, you’ll know which bags to grab first when you’re ready to start using your milk! To make sure not to lose any milk, use your oldest milk first!
Happy Pumping/Breastfeeding! ❤️